Monday, February 9, 2009

Miracle's

Yesterday was a day I will never forget. After sacrament meeting I went up to visit and talk with my friend Scherrie Bethel. Sherrie was making some phone calls and looked very concerned. She said she was calling all the local hospitals looking to find Melva (one of our beloved older sisters in the ward) Melva wouldn't miss church for anything and she wasn't answering her phone. I had spoken with Melva on Wed. to try and arrange to go over and help her do some vacuuming and cleaning her bathtub because she found it very hard on her back to do those things and the YW wanted a service activity. She told me not to come that she was fine.

Let me Give you a little background about Melva. She Joined the church a couple of years ago, when I was the compassionate service leader in the ward. Melva loves the gospel, she is a Jamaican lady who seems quite alone. Her family is far away and a bit disconnected from her. During those first few months after her baptism I had the opportunity to serve Melva. To help her during a time of crisis. She never wants to accept help, she is very independent, but she was incredibly grateful when it came. I grew to love Melva, she endeared herself to me and I think all those who have also had the opportunity to serve her. She used to tell me.. "sista carta .. you are my family. I love you. I couldn't survive without you". Little did Melva know that she in fact was helping me to survive. Her joy at seeing me and hearing my voice made me feel like any little effort I made was golden. That I was a treasure to her. I love her for making me feel so valuable. When I got called as YW president, I had to pull away a bit from Melva, I no longer had the time to spend helping her, as I had 12 Young Women to attend too. But I tried to make sure that no week passed where I didn't seek her out and give her a big hug and kiss and give her my ear for a few minutes. It was not enough, I feel saddened by my busyness.. I didn't make enough time for loving.. I have been spending too much time administering. I will change that. Melva has had 5 stokes in the past few months.

So back to my story, by the time Church had finished, Scherrie and her husband Bishop Bethel were extremely worried. Sister Lealii'e'e (an older lady -who calls her everyday) had not been able to get in contact with her, the home teachers went over no one answered the door. No one had heard or spoken to her since Thurs. But it took us all being in the same location to determine that fact. Finally after church, the Bishop called 911 and the emergency services went over they knocked down her door.They found her barely conscious lying on the bathroom floor. We followed the ambulance to the Hospital and waited in the emergency waiting area until we were allowed to see her.

Bishop and sister Bethel and I walked into the room and saw the most upsetting sight. She was moaning and crying. When she saw the Bishop she cried "oh bishop bishop I have been praying and asking the Lord to tell you to come find me, the Lord has answered my prayers" She was so happy to see him. She loves him very much. She talked of how she had fallen and couldn't move. She said she had been on the floor all day she said. I asked her what day it was today and she said Thursday. I cried as I told her "oh Melva. its Sunday today." Melva's left arm was almost flat and blistered from lying under her body for 4 days. Her face was swollen and she appeared to have suffered another stroke as her left side was sagging. My whole soul ached to see my friend in this condition. But, I am filled with gratitude that the Lord helped her to get through this horrific experience. She was obviously in and out of consciousness, enough that she wasn't aware of how long she was lying there. The Bishop ministered to her and gave her a blessing. All will be well. She is not done here on this earth. I don't know if its Melva who still has to learn (I doubt that, I suspect Its us). She is here for a little while longer to teach us more. She is precious, I will forever be grateful. We have much to learn in the proper care of our elderly. I have much to make better in my own life.

The older sisters in our ward are our lifeblood. They all have become very precious to me. Today I imagined how painful it would be to loose any of the them.
I love to listen to sister L and her stories. I'm blessed to be her Visiting Teacher and to be fed by her every month. She is a true saint.
Sister Elam is our Oldest sister. I visited with her at Christmas in her home late one night. I need to do more for her.
Sister Smith, I had her teach the Young women last week in our ward as part of my lesson. She is a special woman. Every week I seek out each of these women and collect the most amazing hugs and kisses from them. I sincerely don't think I could survive the amount of work it takes to be a leader in this ward without these ladies love. They brighten my Sunday's. They make me feel like I am home. That I still have a grandmother close by and that I am loved.
Please all those who have taken the time to read this.. please go find yourself an older more wiser friend and give them a hug. They need to know they are still of worth and you need to know how good it feels to be loved.

3 comments:

  1. Maya I love you and miss you so much! I'm so glad that the Ft. Laud ward still has you to take care of them. Poor Melva! You guys are amazing--keep up the good work. Of course you will! How are Achara and Margret?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new title. Its very fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new background for your blog

    ReplyDelete